Where the F*** are they?!

I'm totally pissed off at Shutterfly. Every year, for the last 6 years, I order photo calendars and cards from them and I've never had a problem. This year? I ordered my cards at the beginning of December and JUST GOT THEM TODAY!

Frack!

I think I set a new land-speed record for slapping on mailing labels and slobbering over envelope sealant. I know, I know. They will NEVER get to their destinations before Christmas. What can ya do.

Ordinarily, I like to take time and reflect a bit as I apply each mailing label. I think about the person I am sending the card to and wonder what they've been up to all year (if I haven't heard from them in a while). Not much time for reflection today. I think I had time to think about maybe three of the addresses I was mailing to.

One was our adoption agency. I added a personal note to that card and fought the temptation to add something about the huge bill they sent and how it almost wasn't going to be a Merry Christmas for us this year. Ouch. In a year where we had to replace both the hot water heater AND the central A/C unit, their bill almost broke us completely. God how I hate being frugal at Christmas time.

Then there was the card where John noticed the need for a new mailing label. It was addressed to Mr. & Mrs. and there is no longer a Mrs. So now I'm thinking about how sad Mr. is, this first Christmas without his Mrs. She was a nice lady.

Finally, there was the card where I felt compelled to write an apology. Sorry I haven't called or written for a while. Been too busy, too tired, too preoccupied...full of excuses, I am.

Sending Christmas cards is usually the first thing I do when I'm getting ready for the holidays. It's my ritual. It puts me in the right frame of mind and generates some holiday spirit. Sadly, not this year. I felt rushed and stressed. NOT a good frame of mind when you are wishing all your friends and family a Happy Holidays.

*sigh*

Maybe after I shower and prepare the delish gourmet meal I have planned to celebrate John's birthday tonight...maybe my mood will improve. I'll apologize to him in advance for being a cranky pants. Happy Birthday honey! I love you!

Comments

Nancy said…
Can't always have the same Christmas spirit...don't beat yourself up.
I got the calendar that I made just yesterday! But I did put it in pretty late. I think they must ship them all out in one giant shipment!

Take care,
nancy
I just want to say that getting cards out at all with a new baby is impressive in itself. Also, the Twelve Days of Christmas actually begin on Christmas Day and through Three Kings Day, so you have pleanty of time! Hang in and enjoy the good times. Margo
Happy Birthday John!

Don't sweat the cards, the fact that you're doing them is just great. We did no cards this year. We did the picture calendars for family. Other than that, not much. Such grinches we are this year.

I did take Sarah for her first pic with Santa. I knew it wouldn't be an option any earlier. She did very well, asked him for a remote control car. Thank goodness I already have one wrapped up for her.
Chris said…
Cumin, Pepper, Thyme, Rosemary, and Salt say "Hello"!
(Seasons' Greetings)

We have been bad about getting into the spirit this year. We didn't even put our tree up until last monday!

I look forward to getting back to reading your blog after my sabbatical ends in January!

Chris
My Blog
Anonymous said…
a birthday?! Happy Birthday John! I think you'll be in a better mood by then...I tend to be every other year with the christmas cards...some years I get to it, some I don't...what can ya do. I had to giggle about the adoption agency bill.....I'm sure it was a biggie....but holy moly look at what ya got for it?!!! and he comes with an ever bigger bill by the time you finish paying for college, hehehe. but how blessed you are this christmas and I hope you have a wonderful holiday becky and family. netti
Mine came today...I was very impressed with it and it is gracing our refrigerator. I had forgotten about the kidney thing, too...how is that going?

lots of love, Kas

Popular Posts