Teachers

Weekend Assignment #59: We've all had teachers who have made a difference in our lives. Tell us about one of yours. It can be a teacher from any level of education, from kindergarten to graduate school.

Extra Credit: Tell us your second favorite subject in school.


This is a great idea for a weekend assignment...but really, I already wrote about my all time favorite teacher. Ben Maxwell was one of a kind, in my book.


I'll talk about the extra credit here, though. Through most of my years in school, science (mainly Biology) was my favorite subject, followed by English (mainly classes where I got to do some creative writing). Over time, I realized I liked science because I always received a good grade in that subject. Not the best criteria to determine a favorite. English then became my favorite because I really, really loved to write.


So now what is second? I guess I would have to say art. When I went back to college for the third time, I found myself majoring in English and Computer Science, but I was also taking a large number of painting, drawing and graphic design classes. The credits received in those classes did nothing to help me toward my degree...I just took them for the sheer joy of it.


I loved my watercolor painting class so much, I ran out and bought a TON of painting supplies: special papers, brushes, paints/pigments, easels...I went crazy. I intended to make painting a serious hobby. My instructor loved my work so much, she asked if she could keep my portfolio to show to her next class. I could come and pick it up after the next semester was finished. I was so pleased!


Shortly after I finish class that semester and was making plans for the next, I was hospitalized in critical condition. My recovery after surgery was slow and I was deeply depressed at the prospect of never being able to give birth to a baby.


Once I had finally physically recovered, returned to my highly stressful work routine (school had been part time, weekends and evenings), and began treatments for our eventual attempts at IVF - I found I no longer had the desire to paint. I had somehow, somewhere lost the joy. I never went back to retrieve my portfolio of paintings from my instructor. I never picked up a paint brush again.


Two years went by and I finally found the courage to call my old instructor and ask if she still had my portfolio. I really wanted my paintings back. She promised to look and took my number to call me if she located it. I never heard back from her.


One of these days I want to pick up my paint brushes again. But for right now, I am enjoying my favorite subject. The writing part, especially. But art still is my second favorite subject...now it takes the form of photography.



Now a little off the topic, I had a few people ask where the photos of ME were in my last entry. Maybe this will give you a hint...



Now you know why I don't give up the camera too often and why there are very few photos of me. I am always behind the camera and rarely in front of it.

Comments

Popular Posts