Rosie O'Donnell

An open letter to Rosie O'Donnell:


Rosie? I don't know you, but I love you. You don't know me, but you helped give me the greatest gift I have ever received.


In 1999, we were doing serious research on adoption. We had been to various conferences and attended meetings with various adoption support groups...but all the books and research had only left us more confused on where to start. My husband and I weren't getting any younger and we didn't want to be stuck on waiting lists for years and years like some of our friends had been. We had already lost too much time in fruitless attempts at various fertility treatments.


I was already a huge fan of yours (loved all your movies and watched your talk show avidly) and my ears would perk up every time you talked about your kids. I found myself wishing I could talk with you and learn all your adoption secrets.


I remember reading and hearing some negative comments about yours and other celebrity adoptions and the allegations of "baby selling" and that only people with money could adopt quickly. I knew this wasn't true. There had to be something we were missing.


Then you did it! You had a whole hour long show dedicated to adoption. And guess what? Sure...having money does help the process, but only because you can have multiple sources, in multiple states, working for you to find a child to love. Duh! So simple... Your website was the icing on the cake. So much great information!


We were far from wealthy, but we could afford to go to two sources in our adoption search. On your recommendation, we had a private agency in our home state and a private adoption attorney in another state helping us find our baby.


From the date we submitted our portfolio to the day my son was placed in my arms, only a little more than 10 months had passed. Friends and family were amazed! Of course, we had a significant amount of good luck on our side; but I still attribute a large portion of that luck to your timely and excellent advice.


If I ever have the opportunity to meet you; I hope you don't mind if I cry, give you a hug, and offer to buy you a Happy Meal.


Ro? You rock!


Warmest Regards,


Becky in NJ



P.S. - Love the new BLOG!

Comments

Popular Posts