Holidays and Family

The holidays tend to bring out both the best and the worst in me. Joy and wonder join hand in hand with depression and stress. What I hope for is something to tip the balance toward the joy and wonder side. My immediate family (John and Tyler) go a long way toward helping in this. And then there is my chosen family...

I heard a great quote on one of my favorite TV shows tonight that just said it all.

"There is an old proverb that says - You can't choose your family. You take what the fates hand you and like them, or not; love them, or not; understand them, or not; you cope.

Then there's the school of thought that the family you're born into is simply a starting point. They feed you and clothe you until you are ready to go out into the world and find YOUR TRIBE."

I choose the second school of thought. The line to apply for my new tribe starts over there. Love me and my family? You're in. Welcome to the tribe. Dinner tomorrow is hamburger helper and spinach. Pull up a chair.

I love you Kim! Love you Karen! Love you Aria! Love you Joanne! Yes, Pam. I love you too. All my journal friends? You guys are the best. Welcome to the tribe too.

From this perspective, I'm blessed with the best family of all. My chosen family.

Comments

V said…
And quite a family it is!!
Hugs,
V
Anonymous said…
I'd be honored to join your tribe..You have a great family as is and don't need your SIL and BIL, their loss. Please don't let this wear you down. Nice picture og Tyler and Santa. A big hug for John too. Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/adlessor/ACoupleofNomads/
Astaryth said…
Hmmmm... Joining a Tribe? I like it! I love my family dearly, but I just don't have that much in common with them. A few hours every couple of months is plenty for me ;p
Adventures of an Eclectic Mind
Anonymous said…
Aww, I LOVE YOU TOO BECKY!!

(That is, if I was the Kim you were referring too. ;) )
Ah, it's mutual! Somewhere I've heard that everyone gets two families - the one you're born into and the one you choose. You can include the family you make in that second one.

Wishing you warm fuzzies online, minimal meltdowns offline!

Karen
I'm in-I feel the same way-family is the group of people you fell closest to, who love you as you love them. And I love the idea of Tribe, which for me broadens the idea of family. Ga7ys and lesbians have been doing it for years. I've been askes "Are you Family" a number of time in my life, and when I answer yes,. the other knows I lesbian. Margo

Popular Posts