Cabbage?






Happy St. Patrick's Day All!







Long ago and far away, my father-in-law was growing up in Hawaii and decided to join the Boy Scouts. Part of his scouting adventure included learning how to cook such culinary masterpieces as Hobo Stew and Corned Beef & Cabbage.


Now, Hawaiian Boy Scout style Corned Beef and Cabbage is nothing like the Irish/American version...but in honor of St. Patty's Day (and in memory of my FIL), John decided to make this unusual dish.


I was hesitant. Very.


How to make Hawaiian Boy Scout's Corned Beef & Cabbage:


1 can of corned beef
1 head of white cabbage
1 can of bean sprouts
Equal part soy sauce and water (John used about a cup of each)


Bring water and soy to a boil in a large pot with cover. Chop up cabbage, boil (with pot lid on) in water/soy mixture until it starts to soften and wilt, add corned beef, let cook until corned beef loses shape of can and starts falling apart, drain can of bean sprouts and add to pot. Heat through (approx. 2 minutes).


Serve over white rice.


I know what you're thinking. Yuck. I'm eating this as I type and ya know what? It's pretty damn tasty!

Comments

Popular Posts