Job Search

So after my FaceBook post on modern job-search techniques and looking for help for my unemployed friends, I decided to take a peek at listings for myself. Why? Well...after busting my ass in the working world for decades, I took 13 years off to do one of the world's best 24x7 jobs - mothering. But that gig doesn't pay well and all my friends' awesome vacation photos are making me insanely jealous. That vacation thing looks GREAT and we haven't been able to afford one in many years.

I spent over an hour last night combing through hundreds of job listings and only found 2 that even remotely appealed to me. One was as a sales associate at Barnes and Noble. Because...books! Everyone knows how much I lurve my books and the thought of sharing that daily with other book lovers was very appealing. Until I saw the fine print at the bottom that mentioned lots of bending (nope), lifting (nope), standing (NOPE), and occasional cleaning of the toilets (nope nope nope I won't even clean the boy's bathroom without a hazmat suit...so a public bathroom is a no go.)

Then there was the listing that said I could do the job from home and they needed someone IMMEDIATELY. It was the shortest job ad I've ever seen. One sentence that asked for intelligence (check), computer proficiency (check), and a high level of knowledge in 2 things I'd never heard of - Sterling Order Management (I Googled it - it's an inventory management database thingy) and something called SIM (no idea). [insert sound of penalty buzzer]  I could probably figure out the database pretty quickly, but they want someone who is already an expert. Rats.

So the search continues.

Anyone want to hire a disabled work-from-home person with mad computer skillz? I'm happy to work nights. Teen boy has me up half the night, most nights, anyway. :D *sigh* Back to the search.

My dream job would be at home, on the computer, but I'd also love a job where I had to wear a superhero (or villain) costume, in a wheelchair or other less mobile but seated position, using a computer or hand-held device, that had to do with books, writing, comics, movies, photo taking/editing, or music. There's a job like that, right?

Comments

Popular Posts