Trees

I had an intense "Mommy Moment" this evening. I was reading The Giving Tree to Tyler, but I gave him something to think about before I started the book. I said to him, "As I read this story, trying thinking about Mommy and The Tree being the same thing. Think of me as the tree." Then as I read, Tyler's eyes grew wide and I could see new realizations forming in his mind. Ah, the power of metaphor.


We talked about how eating the tree's apples was like how Mommy and Daddy gave him food, and sleeping under the tree was like sharing the bed with us, and so on...and we do it out of love. We want nothing in return.


I didn't expect the reaction that followed. He asked why the boy was leaving the tree that loved him so much. I told Ty that boys grow up to be fine young men who want their independence. They want to go off and see the world, make homes for themselves and start families of their own.


His eyes welled up with tears and he said, "But Mommy...I never want to leave you. I want to stay with you and Daddy for always!" I started to cry as well and squeezed him tightly to me. He asked why I was crying. I told him that I would love for him to stay with us for always and the fact that he loved us so much made me very, very happy. These were happy tears.


He gave me a kiss and said, "Don't worry Mommy. I'll never leave you."


If only it were true, my sweet boy. Little boys grow up too soon.


Comments

Popular Posts