Humbug!

I have vivid memories from when I was a child of my mother saying, "You'll have to forgive her, she is old and set in her ways."  Mom was talking about my grandmothers, invariably, and I had a hard time absorbing that idea. What did it mean? When you got old, you got stuck somehow? You couldn't change your patterns or habits...why? It was baffling.

I used to get excited when new things came out. I always wanted the latest and greatest. Brand loyalty? Meh. This stuff has a NEW scent/color/package! Must have it!

Lately, I find myself getting annoyed when products I've used for a while suddenly change their packaging or smack "new and improved" on the label. I am downright suspicious! What, exactly, is new? The cynic in me says this means they are just using cheaper materials, having the item made overseas somewhere, put half the amount they used to in the box, and charge us a bit more for a bit less.

I remember my grandmother and great aunt would go positively apoplectic when a trusted brand would discontinue an item they liked. Their little world would nearly come to an end if the packaging on their favorite cereal changed one iota. They really were set in their ways to a rather frightening degree. I seem to be following in their footsteps.

I don't care anymore to find something new. I want what I want and no one had better fuss with it! Humph!

Good Lord, I am getting old.

Comments

Sara said…
You and me both, Becky, he he!

Popular Posts