Day of the Doctor

I found myself torn on Saturday. Do I watch the global simulcast of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special...or do I wait until Monday when I can see it in IMAX 3D at the cinema? It was a nail biter.

I decided to watch it on Saturday (twice) AND last night. I still cried four times on Saturday and twice in the theater last night. It...was...EPIC!  This is only the third or fourth 3D movie I've ever seen in my life. The first one was with those silly cardboard 3D glasses with one side red and the other side blue. The third was with my boys and it had those slick black ones that look like real sunglasses. Last night was of the slick variety (and yes, I did get a little dizzy in spots and had to close my eyes.)

The one thing I really wanted to see was a Dalek eye-stalk popping out of the screen at me. And I got it! Plus explody bits that made me duck! Some of the best parts were the special sequences made just for the movie theater audience. The Centauran lecturing us on movie theater etiquette was fantastic. I'll never look at popcorn the same way again. Then the intro by David Tennant and Matt Smith was hilarious. In 12D! What? Only 3D? Well, that's disappointing. Hee hee! Really excellent job of turning a 1 hour television special into a 2 hour movie theater experience. I hope they release the theater version on DVD with all those extras on it.

Lastly, it was just a joy to be in a theater full of people who shared my love of the Doctor. They got it. I came home on a warm and fuzzy cloud and wasn't able to sleep. At all. It was a school night and John is in the city today. He left at some ungodly hour this morning so I was in charge of getting Max to school. My alarm went off just as I was finally nodding off. No sleep for me!

I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, find clothes for the boy, contemplate lunch options and then go to get him up...and he doesn't want to get up. He has a sore throat and is sniffling. After some minor drama, I call him out sick and we both crawl back into bed. Mine. I wish I could say he fell promptly back to sleep. Nope. He tossed and wiggled, chatted a bit, coughed at me, sniffled a lot then finally said he wanted to get up.

I tried to snooze for a bit but my mind went back to the theater last night and I finally just started typing. I'll get some sleep eventually. I hope. It's going to be a very long day.


Popular Posts